The aftermath of a truck wreck is a confusing and overwhelming time. If you or a loved one was seriously injured, your first priority is to get the medical care you need. Your injuries are likely to be serious, if not catastrophic and life-changing. Your car is probably totaled and the bills will start to pile up quickly. The sooner you call the experienced truck wreck attorneys at the Cain Law Firm, the sooner we will be able to step in on your behalf with the lawyers, insurance adjusters, and commercial trucking company executives who will be doing their best to deny or lower your claim. We will put in the hard work and preparation a successful claim against the big trucking companies requires.
Causes of Truck and 18-Wheeler Crashes in Granbury
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nearly 4,000 people are killed and over 100,000 are injured in crashes with big trucks every year. Not surprisingly, the truck driver is not often the one who is injured or killed in these crashes. In fact, 75 percent of the injuries and fatalities resulting from truck crashes are occupants of other vehicles. Big rigs pose big hazards on the roadways of Texas and it is all too easy for a careless or negligent trucker to cause a large amount of damage. Some causes of trucker-error crashes include:
- Distraction. Commercial truckers put in hundreds of miles on long, straight roadways in Texas and elsewhere. It is very tempting for them to ease their boredom by using a smart phone or other device. Even talking on a hands-free device can be cognitively distracting and lead to an accident. Programming a navigation system or logging driving hours while behind the wheel also distracts truckers from the task of driving safely. Any time a trucker’s eyes or thoughts are off the road, the chance of a crash increases exponentially.
- Fatigue. Although truckers are required by federal law to limit the number of hours they can drive, many ignore these hours-of-service rules and drive longer than they should. Even those who are technically adhering to the driving limits may not have actually gotten the needed sleep to remain awake and alert behind the wheel. Dozing off behind the wheel of a 40-ton tractor trailer is no small mistake.
- Impairment. Whether a trucker has been drinking alcohol and using illicit drugs, or is using stimulants or cold medicine, his decision-making and reaction times can be impaired enough to affect his ability to control his rig. An impaired trucker is a very dangerous trucker and one who is likely to cause an accident.
- Unqualified drivers. In order to drive a commercial truck, drivers must obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) by passing a knowledge test, skills tests, background check, and medical exam. After obtaining the initial license, drivers must engage in continual re-training, drug testing, and medical exams to remain qualified. If the driver of a truck involved in a crash has not met these requirements, he may be held liable for the crash.
- Poorly maintained truck. A leading cause of truck-fault crashes is poor maintenance of the truck. Worn tires and shoddy brakes can lead to crashes, as can a damaged trailer coupling or malfunctioning lights and reflectors. Drivers and trucking companies are required to conduct regular inspections of their trucks and to make necessary repairs before taking them on a trip. A truck in poor repair is a dangerous hazard on the road.
How Our Fort Worth-Area Attorneys Can Help
Proving that one of these failures let to the truck wreck that injured you requires a thorough investigation by an experienced truck crash attorney. The lawyers at the Cain Law Firm will gather evidence such as driving records, hours-of-service logs, truck black boxes, inspection records, and more. We will look into every possible liable party, including the driver, his employer, the company who loaded the cargo, and government agencies responsible for maintaining road conditions and construction zones. We will put in the work necessary to get you the settlement you will need to support you as you recover from your catastrophic injuries.
Put Our Hard-Working Granbury Firm to Work for You
At the Cain Law Firm, we don’t try to reel in clients with gimmicks and nicknames. Instead of a catchy jingle, we offer our clients unwavering integrity and high moral character as we pursue your truck crash case. You will be proud to have our lawyers on your team. If you were injured in a truck wreck in Granbury, Grapevine, or Fort Worth, call our office today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.