Receiving Compensation for Injuries and Fatalities Caused by a Drunk Driver

injuries-caused-by-drunk-driversAbout one out of three traffic fatalities involves a drunk driver. Depending upon vehicle speed and whether or not the parties involved were wearing seat belts, drunk driving accidents can result in anything from minor cuts and abrasions to broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, paralysis, and even death.

Drunk Driving Is a Serious Problem

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 28 people lose their lives due to drunk driving every day. Unfortunately, drunk drivers tend to be repeat offenders. The CDC reports that drivers with a BAC of .08 or higher who are involved in fatal crashes are seven times more likely to have previous convictions for DWIs than drivers who didn’t have alcohol-related infractions. Drunk drivers frequently make a number of dangerous mistakes, including:

  • Failing to stay in the proper lane
  • Failing to yield
  • Speeding
  • Falling asleep at the wheel

Seeking Compensation

In addition to strict criminal penalties for drunk driving, violators can also be held civilly liable for the harm they cause. If you’ve been injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you can file a personal injury claim to seek compensation for medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. Family members of those who have lost their lives in fatal crashes may file wrongful death claims to seek reimbursement for medical costs incurred prior to the death of their loved one, burial costs, the loss of financial support, and loss of companionship.

You Need an Attorney

If you’ve been injured in a collision with a drunk driver, you may feel that his arrest and criminal conviction is sufficient punishment. However, while the driver does face fines, the loss of his license, and possible jail time, none of these will help you recover from your injuries. To get the compensation you deserve, you need an experienced Texas personal injury attorney. Protect your rights, and contact the Cain Law Firm by using the form on this page.