What should I do after a vehicle accident?

what-to-do-after-a-car-accidentWhen you’re involved in a vehicle accident, the accompanying adrenaline and stress can be overwhelming. However, the following are important steps that you should take in order to stay safe and protect your rights:

  • Look for injuries. Check with all drivers and passengers involved in the accident to ensure that no one is hurt. Call 911 if anyone is in need of medical attention.
  • Call the police. If the accident is more than just a fender-bender, or if anyone is injured, you should call the police. Even if the damage is minor, and the police don’t visit the scene, you can still file a police report.
  • Don’t leave. Stay at the scene of the accident until you’ve talked with the police. Don’t leave until you’ve verified that everyone else involved in the accident is okay.
  • Obtain driver and witness information. Get names, contact information, and insurance details from all drivers. If there are passengers, collect their names and addresses, as well. Ask each witness what he saw, and get his name, phone number, and address.
  • Photograph everything. Take pictures of any injuries you’ve sustained and damage to your vehicle. Also photograph the accident scene, and any other vehicles involved in the collision.
  • Notify your insurance company. Tell your insurance company that you’ve been in an accident.
  • Protect your rights. Don’t sign any documents, except for the police or your insurance company. Don’t apologize or claim responsibility, even if you believe the accident was your fault.
  • Talk to a lawyer. If you were injured in the accident, you should speak with an attorney as soon as possible. A lawyer can represent you when dealing with the other parties involved in the accident.

If you’ve been injured in a vehicle accident, you need the guidance of an experienced legal professional to help you protect your rights and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. To learn more, contact the Cain Law Firm by using the form on this page.