What does it mean to receive compensation for pain and suffering?

Vehicle accident victims may be able to recover damages for both economic and noneconomic harm caused by a collision. While economic damages reimburse victims for their out-of-pocket expenses, non-economic damages are intended to compensate them for other types of harm caused, such as pain and suffering.

Types of Pain and Suffering

Pain and suffering is the mental and physical anguish resulting from an accident. Any damages collected are intended to compensate you for the emotional and mental distress you have already experienced and that you may continue to endure in the future. Some of the harmful outcomes of an accident you may be compensated for might include:

  • Inconvenience
  • Physical pain
  • Disfigurement
  • Emotional pain
  • Damage to reputation
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Insomnia
  • Loss of companionship
  • Physical impairment

Damages for Pain and Suffering

To collect damages, you must first prove the extent of your pain and suffering. You need evidence that demonstrates how your accident has caused you to suffer. Proof can take a number of different forms, and the more evidence you can provide, the better. To do so, you may need to produce various types of supporting documentation, including:

  • Previous, current, and future medical expenses
  • Receipts for over-the-counter medications
  • Personal journals detailing physical and emotional pain
  • Photographs of your injuries
  • Prescription records
  • Proof of treatment by a mental health professional
  • Documentation of missed work and lost income

You Need an Attorney

Assigning a monetary value to your pain and suffering can be one of the most challenging aspects of pursuing a vehicle accident claim. A variety of factors must be considered, including your unique physical injuries, the emotional distress you’ve experienced as a result of being injured, and the impact your injuries have had on your daily life. Due to the complex nature of personal injury claims, you need an experienced attorney who understands how to properly value a case. To learn more, contact the Cain Law Firm to schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation.