Quality evidence is critical to a successful car accident claim, and you are an integral part of gathering and organizing that evidence. Right after the accident, you can take steps at the scene of the crash to maximize your potential compensation. It’s important you remember to follow these steps and understand how they can help your attorney later.
Preserve Evidence at the Scene
If you are well enough, and it is safe to do so, exit your vehicle after the crash and begin to collect evidence. You’ll need a smartphone with photo and video capabilities, a pen, and a pad of paper. A few steps can preserve helpful evidence for your case, including:
- Taking photos and videos. With your phone or a camera you keep in your glove box, make sure to take photos and video footage of the crash scene, including any skid marks, broken glass, and vehicle body damage. Additionally, document your injuries and those of your passengers.
- Noting contact info for the other driver. You should say little to the other driver, but you absolutely must get his contact info, license number, vehicle make and model, and the names of any passengers with him.
- Speaking with and recording witnesses. If any bystanders are willing, speak with them, take notes, and record the conversation with your phone. It’s possible a witness saw something that may help determine fault.
- Obtaining a copy of the police report. The police report is a useful document because it comes from an objective third party (the officer). These details recorded from a law enforcement perspective may help your case, and the report will also inform you of any citations given to the other driver.
- Keeping record of your injuries. If you were injured in the crash, it’s important you document that progress. Take photos of your injuries often if they are visible, and always keep a journal about how your injury has affected and continues to hinder your daily routine and abilities.
Personalized Representation for Your Injury Case
If you’ve recently been injured, it’s possible you’re worried about paying for medical bills and losing valuable time at work. The team at The Cain Law Firm understands how difficult the time after a crash can be, and we want to help you file a timely lawsuit and recover as much as you need. To get started on your case, call our toll-free phone number today.